Saturday, August 28, 2010

Headband display tutorial

I sometimes do local shows and am always looking for cute ways to display my products.
This is for metal headbands. It doesn't hold a lot so it's a good way to show case your favorites with the rest to the side. And you can refill it as they go!

Supplies:
Paper towel holder
Roll of paper towels
fabric (thin and stretchy works best..it's not what I used)
hot glue
sand paper
paint and brush -or-spray paint


I got my holder at the D.I. for $1.00 !
See this hole and metal? I also used putty filler in my supplies, but you don't have to..
First, take your top off
Sand a little bit to give it some texture to grab the paint.
Fill the hole with your putty, let dry, and sand to get a smooth surface. (I obviously did this after a coat of paint...I was learning too)

Paint your desired color. Spray paint would work great too, but I didn't have any. So I just used my craft paint, which worked pretty well.
You don't need to paint the stem...it will be covered. Finish all the coats you need and let it dry.

If you want to sand the edges a little, now is the time.

Grab your fabric. You don't want to use something too loud. Remember what you want people to notice is your headbands, not the fabric on your display. It can have some interest, like mine, just not too much! Measure it against your roll of paper towel. Cut it three inches longer than the amount you need to fully cover it. And 4 inches taller.
To avoid sewing a nice hem, we're gluing it! Glue over one edge 1 1/2 inches.

Now roll, making sure you have a good two inches extra on top and on bottom.
You should still have an inch and 1/2 to over lap the edges. Glue it all the way and you will have a nice finished edge.

Now take one end of your roll, where you should have two inches hanging over. Glue around the inside of your roll and tuck fabric inside.


Do this all the way around, and to the other end until you have a nice covered paper towel. You want it to look nice, but as you can see it doesn't have to be perfect. I used home decor fabric so it was much thicker and stiffer. If you want to use a thinner or even stretchy fabric it will lay and fold a lot smoother and smaller.
Now place your covered roll on your holder, a viola, you have a display for your headbands..
Just add some headbands and you're good to go!

3 comments: